Leading Japanese retailer Uniqlo collaborated with rising New York label Vena Cava for a six-piece collection that lands in stores today! “We chose to collaborate with Uniqlo because we really believe in good design offered at an affordable price point,” said Vena Cava designers Sophie Buhai and Lisa Mayock (inset). The price point for the lineup of dresses, tunics, and tops is certainly wallet-friendly, as each piece sells for $29.90. “The idea of creating signature prints for Uniqlo that have a Vena Cava feeling was a very inspiring design proposal,” the pair continued. The collection is available starting today in the New York’s Uniqlo store in Soho. Click “See the Photos” to browse the Vena Cava for Uniqlo collection!
The first day of New York Fashion Week is underway and the stars are out to celebrate. Nicole Richie showed off her House of Harlow collection at Bergdorf Goodman last night, Solange Knowles spun tunes at Macy’s Bar III pop-up shop, and Matthew McConaughey played cheerleader to wife Camila Alves at the Heart Truth’s Red Dress show. And, of course, the new fashion collections proved to be chic—painter-like prints popped at BCBG Max Azria, glitter eye makeup appeared at Vena Cava, and that’s not all. Click through the gallery for everything you need to know about day one at New York Fashion Week.
— Heather Viggiani, with reporting by Kristin Studeman and Caitlin Donovan
Nineties music inspired Vena Cava designers Sophie Buhai and Lisa Mayock for their fall runway show. In particular: “Veruca Salt, Elastica, The Breeders, and a lot of Fiona Apple,” the pair told us backstage after the show. “We researched our playlist thoroughly and once we got it together, everything started to really gel and fall into place.” The result was a collection that played with proportion by including grunge-inspired long lengths paired with cropped tops, bold gold chokers and cuffs by Dannijo, and shoes by Tenoversix. Click through the gallery to see some of our top looks from the Vena Cava show.
— Violet Gaynor, with reporting by Caitlin Donovan
1. The True Blood newlyweds take time from their honeymoon to pose with fans. [People.com]
2. Check out Lourdes Leon’s first day of high school style! [JustJared.com]
3. Sienna Miller and her sister/co-designer Savannah Miller were nominated for a British Fashion Award for their Twenty8Twelve line. [JustJared.com]
4. Will Susan Sarandon be apart of Glee‘s Rocky Horror tribute epsiode? [People.com]
5. Vena Cava’s designers say makeup is in for spring! [Style.com]
6. See the always-stylish Gwen Stefani, Gavin Rossdale and family as they stroll around New York City. [Jezebel.com]
New York Fashion Week is off to an action-packed start at Lincoln Center. Yesterday, Vena Cava, Richard Chai LOVE, Christian Siriano and Richie Rich all put on incredible runway shows, and Chanel hosted a party at the re-opening of its Soho boutique. Designer Karl Lagerfeld welcomed guests like Blake Lively, Leighton Meester, Rachel Bilson, Alexa Chung, Liv Tyler, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Rachel Zoe, who were all clad in Chanel. When we asked InStyle fashion contributor Rachel Bilson about her first Chanel purchase, she told us she “bought a little Chanel bag—it was the first thing I bought when I started acting. I figured I couldn’t go wrong with it because it was so classic, but it really sucked: it was stolen!” For more details on Day 1′s hottest happenings and celebrity sightings, click through our gallery now!
—Rachel Jacoby, with reporting by Nakisha Williams
This fall, Vena Cava is bringing their signature vintage aesthetic to Bloomingdales, with a capsule collection for the ready-to-wear line, Aqua. Designers Sophie Buhai and Lisa Mayock, who count Maggie Gyllenhaal and Natalie Portman as fans, debuted the limited-edition line of flirty separates and hand-drawn geometric printed dresses to editors at the department store’s Soho location. The line, which they described as “soft and flirty” features some of the “greatest hits of the Vena Cava collection,” but at a lower price point ($98 for a lace blouse to $198 for a ponte jacket). The line will launch in Bloomingdales stores and on bloomingdales.com on September 1st. Make sure to click through our gallery below for a sneak peek at the designs.
1. Take a peek inside Kelly Cutrone’s closet in Bluefly’s new series Closet Confessions. [PeopleStyleWatch.com]
2. Got $50 laying around? Now you can use it to invest in emerging fashion designers! [NYMag.com]
3. To celebrate their new Plant Bottle, Dasani and PS-I-Made-This.com created a charitable hat made of recycled materials. [Dasani.com]
4. Rumors are swirling that Prince William and Kate Middleton are getting engaged. [CNN.com]
5. Watch Adam Lambert spill the secrets to his glam-rock style. [Fashionair.com]
6. Vena Cava will launch an affordable T-shirt collection called Viva Vena this fall. [WWD.com]