Oprah Winfrey’s final show airs on Wednesday, and while the talk show queen has gone through her share of hairstyles (Pixies! Shags! Perms!) and trends (Shoulder pads! Cowboy boots!), she always returns to her fashion standbys. After 25 years on the air, Winfrey knows what works for her, and some of her signature styles include crisp button-downs paired with voluminous skirts (left), vibrant reds (center), and shades of blush and beige (right). Click through the gallery to see all of Oprah’s classic fashion moments. And tell us, what’s your favorite Oprah look?
Eva Mendes and Rihanna partied for a cause when they attended the annual DKMS Gala at Cipriani Wall Street in New York City, which raised $2.5 million for the fight against leukemia. Mendes chose a floaty white chiffon frock with a black sash by Prabal Gurung, while Rihanna went for a lacy gown with a plunging neckline by Louis Vuitton. Before the event, Rihanna tweeted, “Pullin up to DKMS Gala! Lights, Cameras…..ACTION!!!!! #Werk.” The singer was honored with an award recognizing her for work in raising awareness about the disease. Meanwhile, in Washington D.C., Michelle Obama shared a laugh with comedian Seth Meyers at the annual White House Correspondents’ Dinner, and over in Barcelona, Reese Witherspoon and Robert Pattinson got cozy at the Spanish premiere of Water for Elephants. See more photos from last night’s hottest parties in the gallery.
January 1, 2011 is a big day. Not just because it’s the start of a new year, but also because it’s when the Oprah Winfrey Network (OWN), launches. What can you expect? Well, plenty of Oprah Winfrey, for starters. She’s launching shows with behind-the-scenes footage, and a new program called Oprah Presents Master Class that features celebrities like Jay-Z, Simon Cowell and more. But it’s not all Oprah. The channel will also showcase familiar Oprah experts, like Dr. Phil, Suze Orman and Dr. Mehmet Oz, plus new faces, like Canadian chefs Anna Wallner and Kristina Matisic on Anna & Kristina’s Grocery Bag. We’re most excited about Finding Sarah, with former Duchess of York Sarah Ferguson, and Why Not? With Shania Twain, which both launch this spring. Click here to find out channel OWN is on in your area and tell us: Do you plan on watching Oprah’s new network?
1. Andre Walker, Oprah Winfrey’s hairstylist of 25 years, will debut his own haircare line on HSN tomorrow. [Miami Herald]
2. Chanel designer Karl Lagerfeld is going to be on TV… starring in a Volkswagon commercial. Too bad it will only appear on German stations. [WWD]
3. Kate Middleton did her own makeup for her engagement photos! Find out how. [Stylelist]
4. The Hanson brothers wearing ugly sweaters? Now this is one of our favorite things. [Hanson Blog]
5. Is Leighton Meester the new face of Missoni? Possibly. [Elle UK]
6. Twihards, there is a new Eclipse fragrance set available for under $25, just in time for the holidays (not that vampires necessarily celebrate them). [Coco Perez]
Part two of Oprah’s Ultimate Favorite Things show continued today—with a new audience and a new list of goodies that was just as spectacular as the first. As we predicted, Oprah gave everyone in the audience a car, a sparkling new 2012 VW Beetle! The delighted guests also scored an iPad, a Coach Sophia Satchel, Jessica Leigh diamond earrings by Dana Rebecca Designs, a Magaschoni cashmere sweater with matching cashmere leggings, Hope in a Jar moisturizer by Philosophy, two $500 gift certificates to Nordstrom’s lingerie department (one for a friend), a custom “Oprah Set” of pots from Le Creuset, sequined Uggs, Miraclebody Jeans By Miraclesuit, a Sophie Jewelry box from Pottery Barn and more. Check out the complete list on Oprah.com.
“Do you feel as good as you look?” Oprah Winfrey asked a svelte and sexy Jane Fonda during her appearance on The Oprah Winfrey Show last week. “Yes,” the 72 year-old Fonda said. “I think it’s just getting better!” Almost 30 years after she helped spread the aerobics craze around the country, Fonda is slipping back into spandex for “Jane Fonda: Prime Time Walkout” and “Jane Fonda: Prime Time Fit & Strong,” two new DVDs set to hit stores on November 30th. “It’s not marathon stuff,” Fonda told Oprah of the low-impact moves, meant to motivate people of all ages, including seniors, who are looking to ease back into exercise. “It’s very doable.” While Fonda (who became a bona fide sex symbol when she starred as a space-swimsuit-clad astronaut in the 1968 flick Barbarella) admitted that she’s also used cosmetic surgery to stay looking great, she maintains that staying in shape is the best way to fight the effects of aging. “I’ve been writing a book…and in the research I did, it was clear that one of the most important things is to stay physically active,” she told Oprah. “Not just for your body and your muscles, but for your brain.” She may have lost the leg warmers, but Fonda’s still got the ability to inspire! Tell us: Have you ever used one of Jane Fonda’s workout videos?
1. It’s confirmed: Mariah Carey is pregnant. Let the name speculation begin! [People.com]
2. Oprah Winfrey looked top-notch in a fitted Victoria Beckham dress. Kudos to both ladies. [StyleBistro.com]
3. Taylor Swift warns future boyfriends that they’ll probably be written about in her songs. [People.com]
4. Derek Lam wants your input on his new collection for eBay. [TheThread]
5. Pull out those red leather jackets! Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” may be made into a feature film. [EW.com]
6. View this cute gallery to find out what top designers like Peter Som will dressing up as for Halloween. [HarpersBazaar.com]