Britain’s top designers were honored yesterday in London for the annual British Fashion Awards, including footwear designer Nicholas Kirkwood (center) who was named Accessory Designer of the Year. The designer, who is known for his architecturally-inspired shoes, got his start working with Kate Middleton’s favorite hat maker Philip Treacy. Kirkwood’s eponymous line garnered attention last spring when shoe-fanatic Sarah Jessica Parker wore his suede platform shoes (shown far left) three times in one week! His other celebrity fans include Claudia Schiffer (center, right) and Jessica Alba, shown above in a pair of Nicholas Kirkwood sandals. Other BFA winners include Phoebe Philo of Celine for Designer of the Year, Mulberry for Designer Brand, Burberry for Digital Innovation Award, Naomi Campbell for the Special Recognition Award and resounding new it-girl Alexa Chung for British Style. The late designer Alexander McQueen was also honored with the award for Outstanding Achievement in Fashion Design—watch the moving tribute video directed by photographer Nick Knight after the jump.
1. Redheads rejoice! Emma Stone is set to star in the new Spiderman movie. [InStyle.co.uk]
2. Find out why Carolina Herrera is Renee Zellweger’s go-to designer. [PeopleStyleWatch.com]
3. Gap debuted a controversial new logo this week. What do you think? [Slate.com]
4. The new Jil Sander merch for Uniqlo launches today. Bring a book to read in line. [Racked.com]
5. Despite a December 10th launch date, Mulberry’s line for Target has hit shelves early. Yay! [Thread NY]
6. Need more Balmain or Rick Owens in your life? Maria Luisa is now launching e-commerce. [TheCorner.com]
We reported yesterday that Target and Gilt Groupe have teamed up for an exclusive pre-sale of three of Target’s capsule collections. Now we’ve got a sneak peek at the goods that will be available starting tomorrow at noon. To shop on Gilt Groupe, you need to be a member, but don’t fret if you’re not: Sign up now, and click through the gallery to see some of InStyle.com‘s favorite pieces.
Two of our favorite retailers for discounted designer fashions, Target (with those never-ending capsule collections) and Gilt Groupe (and their sweat-inducing flash sales), are teaming up. Starting Friday at noon, three of Target’s newest designer collabs—Tucker fashions, Mulberry bags and John Derian decoupage—will be sold exclusively on Gilt.com before they’re even available in stores. Get online early, though: The sale will only last through the weekend, with limited merchandise available. If you’re too late, you can snap up Tucker’s pieces starting September 12th and Mulberry’s, October 10th. Until then, we’ll be dreaming of a less-pricey-but-equally-chic Alexa-style inspired Mulberry bag (at right).
Last night, Mulberry celebrated the launch of its Fall 2010 collection with some summertime fun, hosting a pool party for some of Hollywood’s most fashionable females at the storied Chateau Marmont. The stylish attendees included Alexa Chung (who even has a namesake bag by the label) looking cool in vintage cutoffs and a washed silk blouse and Kate Bosworth, who wore a graphic T-shirt with black skinny jeans. Cat Deeley, Molly Sims, 90210‘s Shenae Grimes and Jessica Stroup sipped Mulberry mojitos and took pictures with the brand-new Polaroid cameras strewn about, then Chung spun tunes (and Kelly Osbourne put in her own two musical cents) at the after-party at Bungalow 1. The result? One super-cool and stylish fete. Click through our gallery to see all the stars at Mulberry’s bash.
Must-have bag alert: Hollywood stars currently love 3.1 Phillip Lim’s studded Edie bag and Mulberry’s modern Neely tote. Rachel Bilson, Leighton Meester and Diane Kruger have all been spotted carrying Lim’s tough but sweet shoulder bag, and the ladylike and work-appropriate Mulberry tote is making splashes both on- and off-screen: Blake Lively sported the bag on the set of Gossip Girl, while Michelle Trachtenberg and Olivia Palermo hit the streets with it. Luckily, they’re both available to purchase now—the Edie bag on Net-A-Porter.com in a muted gunmetal gray and the Neely tote on My-Wardrobe.com in a striking steel blue leather.
British it girl Alexa Chung has already made her mark on fashion: Mulberry named a purse after her and she’s designed a hotly-anticipated collection for Madewell, due in stores soon. Now the 26-year-old is taking on the beauty world, landing a deal to the be the exclusive face of a new Lacoste perfume, slated for release in January 2011. It’s a high-profile gig, made all the more so by the fact that this is the first time Lacoste has ever signed a “celebrity face” to represent the brand. We can’t wait to see what the model/tv host/designer will do next.
1. Mulberry will release a capsule collection of handbags for Target this October. [NYMag.com]
2. Gemma Arterton just tied the knot in a super-secret affair in Spain. [JustJared.com]
3. Could The Proposal‘s Ryan Reynolds & Sandra Bullock be teaming up again? [People.com]
4. Find out what TV shows to watch (and which ones to skip) this summer. [TheDailyBeast.com]
5. Look out for Alice+Olivia’s makeover tour bus in your home town this summer. [AliceandOlivia.com]
6. Marc Jacobs’ boyfriend, Lorenzo Martone, is launching a swimwear collection. [CocoPerez.com]