Milan Fashion Week had some our favorite celebrities sitting front row at the shows—including Princess Charlene and Janet Jackson (with beau Wissam al Mana), both taking in the scene at Giorgio Armani. Click through to see who else we spotted living la dolce vita this week.
Each year since 1988, the super-glamorous amfAR Gala has marked the official kickoff of New York Fashion Week, and last night was the big ribbon cutting! Heidi Klum(in Michael Kors), amfAR chairman Kenneth Cole, and Janet Jackson were the night’s big honorees, and stars and designers alike both turned out to Cipriani Wall Street to toast to the recipients for their dedication to funding AIDS research. “Kenneth Cole, personally and professionally, has changed the lives of millions who have been affected by the virus,” Sarah Jessica Parker (in Maison Martin Margiela) said during her remarks on stage. “And most notably, he changed the minds of those who weren’t, by putting his heart and his soul into amfAR’s fight for the last three decades.” Click through the gallery to learn more about the event and see more star-studded Fashion Week parties!
Janet Jackson turns 46 today! During the 30-plus years of her showbiz career, Jackson has proved herself a master of reinvention, from her early days as a fresh-faced kid on Good Times and Diff’rent Strokes to her long, sleek Rhythm Nation 1814 look to her red curls for The Velvet Rope. Today, she celebrates her big day across the globe. “Thanks for the birthday wishes,” she Tweeted. “I’m looking forward to spending it in Paris. It’s such a special city for me.” Click through the gallery to see her Hollywood transformation now.
While you were adjusting your Lady Gaga wig and filling bowls of candy for hungry little trick-or-treaters, stars were hitting hot parties in some of the coolest costumes (or were they cool parties and hot costumes?) we’ve seen. Click through our gallery to see Kim Kardashian as a vampy Little Red Riding Hood, Heidi Klum as a larger-than-life robot and so many more!
1. Look at this first photo of Blake Lively as Green Lantern‘s Carol Ferris. We LOVE her as a brunette! [JustJared.com]
2. Laugh a little too loud and watch Kate Bosworth and Zoe Saldana’s video for FunnyorDie. [MTV.com]
3. Rent The Runway has just released 30 new styles for you to borrow from designers like Proenza Schouler! [RentTheRunway.com]
4. Janet Jackson stars in Blackglama’s latest ad campaign. [People.com]
5. Need help walking in your heels? Here’s a nifty little trick. [Glamour.com]
6. Ebay ups its fashion sense with a new iPhone app. [WWD.com]
So far, it’s been a very big year for what we here at InStyle.com like to call “the statement bra.” Everyone from Rihanna to Lady Gaga has recently donned at least one of the attention-getting garments—not-so-intimates for which support seems almost entirely beside the point. “California Gurls” singer Katy Perry is a particular proponent of the pop-star-friendly trend—she appeared at Canada’s MuchMusic Video Awards in this sparkling pink number on Sunday—but we’ve done a little digging and found that female musicians have been working the underwear-as-outerwear thing since way before the 25-year-old was born. Click on the gallery to see a brief history of pop’s biggest bra moments.
1. Take a peek at Rihanna’s new PSA for bone marrow center DKMS. [People.com]
2. Miley Cyrus moves out of her parents’ pad and into her own “really zen” house. [People.com]
3. Relive that Pretty in Pink moment and visit the best film and TV prom scenes of all time. [Seventeen.com]
4. Ann Taylor LOFT launches a hip new blog with a special guest editor. [Live.Love.Loft.com]
5. Start swooning—Hermes teams up with Pierre Hardy on a jewelry line. [CocoPerez.com]
6. Watch Janet Jackson’s video for her new single, “Nothing.” [JanetJackson.com]
After the news broke of Alexander McQueen’s death, the designer’s celebrity friends and fans spoke out. “He was talented well beyond his years,” said Sarah Jessica Parker(at left with McQueen at the Met’s Costume Institute gala in 2006) in a statement. “There has never been anyone like him. And there simply never will be.” Victoria Beckham also expressed her grief: “He made all he touched beautiful and will be desperately missed.” Some stars jumped on Twitter to share their memories. “Alexander invited me to my very 1st fashion show (his in London),” tweeted Janet Jackson. “We lost a True Genius.”