Diamonds Swarovski crystals are a girl’s best friend…or in this case, designers’. Each season, Swarovski partners up with select designers who exhibit “cutting edge talent and the ability to demonstrate exquisite craftsmanship with crystal” that ultimately form the “Swarovski Collective.” It means, the designers who snag a spot in the Collective are backed by the Swarovski brand, given financial support (for their show) and the freedom to experiment with the crystal. At New York Fashion Week, the lucky, lucky designers on this season’s roster include: Prabal Gurung, Kate and Laura Mulleavy (of Rodarte), Max Osterweis (of Suno), Wes Gordon, Scott Sternberg (of Band of Outsiders), and Shane Gabier and Chris Peters (of Creatures of the Wind). From original sketches to final runway looks, click through to see how the designers encrusted Swarovski crystals into their spring/summer 2014 collection.
Kate Mara (in Dolce & Gabbana) had a very special guest at last night’s New York premiere of the new Netflix series House of Cards—younger sister Rooney (in Band of Outsiders). The political thriller, which will be watchable exclusively on the video streaming site Netflix.com starting February 1, stars Kevin Spacey as the U.S. majority whip, who betrays everyone around him on his climb to the nation’s #1 office.
Plus, see more of this week’s parties!
Band of Outsiders has some strict criteria when choosing who represents the label: Sweet young thing. Brilliant actress. And an Oscar nod or two doesn’t hurt. That pretty much describes the house’s face for its Boy collection last season, Michelle Williams. And it can also be said of Amy Adams , who is featured in this season’s campaign. The star of The Master is shown in the brand’s trademark vintage Polaroid style, wearing items from designer Scott Sternberg’s fall collection as she frolics at the Autry Museum in Glendale, California. We think she strikes a perfect balance between playful and dramatic.
Plus, see more new celebrity campaigns!
Leave it to Michelle Williams to make a cemetery look sweet! The Oscar nominee posed for Boy. by Band of Outsiders‘s spring 2012 lookbook, which was shot on vintage Polaroid film at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery in L.A.—right across the street from the company offices. Williams works the label’s breezy pale blue, ivory and toile pieces in the sun-drenched photos. Browse the lookbook in the gallery now!
Move over, Emma Watson—Harry Potter’s Ron Weasley and Draco Malfoy are making their modeling debut! Band of Outsiders designer Scott Sternberg personally photographed Rupert Grint (Ron) and Tom Felton (Draco) for his label’s fall lookbook at The Magic Castle in Los Angeles. What an appropriate setting! Click through to see playful photos of the onscreen nemeses.
We’re half-way through Fashion Week and the action hasn’t slowed down a bit. Kim Kardashian mingled with fellow celebs at Charlotte Ronson, Alexander Wang welcomed guests Alicia Keys and Kanye West, and Victoria Beckham showed off her latest season of stunning dresses. Theatrics were also a big part of fashion shows—find out which designer tapped Olympian Johnny Weir to perform and which label dropped its models from the ceiling. Click through the gallery to get the full beauty, fashion and celebrity news from day four at Fashion Week.
— Heather Viggiani, with reporting by Lauren Tumas and Nakisha Williams
1. Kirsten Dunst modeled for Band of Outsiders in the label’s new lookbook. [The Cut]
2. Forever21 will launch designer collaborations with Petro Zillia and Rory Beca this spring. YES. [WWD]
3. Prince pulled Kim Kardashian on stage during his concert in New York and asked her to dance. Twice! [JustJared]
4. Christie Brinkley goes to Broadway! The supermodel will star in Chicago starting this April. [HuffPo Style]
5. Converse’s collaboration with Marimekko is now available in stores and online. [Refinery29]
6. Free jewelry alert! Win a free piece by David Yurman by submitting your favorite romantic image to the label’s Facebook page. [Facebook]
1. Carrie Underwood and Mike Fisher’s wedding guests will feast on cupcakes instead of cake. [People.com]
2. Band of Outsiders’s designer Scott Sternberg plans to launch a more affordable women’s collection called girl. [Fashionista.com]
3. Robert Pattinson looks dapper in a top hat on the set of his new film, Bel Ami. [InStyle.co.uk]
4. Jessica Alba will lend her sense of style to Project Runway as the next celebrity guest judge. [Yahoo.com]
5. Are they or aren’t they? Jen Aniston and Gerard Butler flirt on a Parisian cruise over the Seine. [Usmagazine.com]
6. Cameron Diaz flaunts her gams in daisy dukes on the set of Bad Teacher. [JustJared.com]