The 12th annual Latin Grammy Awards took place in Las Vegas last night, and the night’s leading ladies went for a heavy dose of sparkle, shimmer, and shine. Zoe Saldana plucked a Kelly green gown straight off the Elie Saab spring 2012 runway, Shakira chose a gold design with a jewel-encrusted bodice, and Sofia Vergara went for a silvery-white strapless dress by Reem Acra. See more of our favorite looks from the night in the gallery now.
Gold dresses have been popping up on a lot of red carpets in the past few weeks, and the look is so shiny that it’s hard not to notice. Katy Perry wore a strapless gold Georges Chakra dress to the Grammy Nominations Concert Live, Olivia Wilde wowed at the Hollywood premiere of TRON: Legacy in a liquid gold Emilio Pucci gown, Anne Hathaway attended the Love and Other Drugs Sydney premiere in this Oscar De La Renta gold sequin minidress, and Shakira wore a gold, one-shoulder number to the Bambi Awards. If you want to try this festive look yourself, take a cue from these stars and keep your accessories to a minimum.
1. Jennifer Lopez is reportedly the next judge on American Idol. [JustJared.com]
2. Lady Gaga was spotted traveling in an outlandish coat. [CocoPerez.com]
3. Attention men of stylecheck out this brand new etailer, Limo Land! [alimoland.com]
4. L’Oreal’s new YouTube channel sifts through the thousands of beauty tip videos to find the best ones. [YouTube.com]
5. Shakira joins the celebrity fragrance party with her first scent. [WWD.com]
6. Check out the best of the many Street Style blogs. [Fashionista.com]
Last week, we gave you a sneak peek at the custom Cavalli costume Shakira planned to wear at the World Cup closing ceremony, but the sketch paled in comparison to the real thing! Every single neon and fringed detail literally lit up the stage as the signer performed alongside African dancers, costumed elephants, and an incredible light and fireworks display. Shakira’s hip-swiveling rendition of “Waka Waka (This Time for Africa)” proved to be almost as captivating as the actual World Cup Final itself, which ended with Spain winning 1-0 in overtime.
Roberto Cavalli has taken on the task of designing Shakira’s costume for the 2010 FIFA World Cup closing ceremony concert, and the preview sketch does not disappoint: The singer will shake her (non-lying) hips in a custom silk-fringed skirt with a floral motif, a denim belt studded with pearls, a tulle top embroidered with (more) multi-colored pearls, and leather bracelets decorated with silk floral appliques while she performs the game’s official song “Waka-Waka” in Johannesburg Sunday.
Last night pop stars Fergie, Shakira and Alicia Keys stylishly kicked off the World Cup in South Africa with the first-ever World Cup concert. Fergie opened the show with the Black Eyed Peas’ hit “Where is the Love?” in a gladiator-style ensemble, and Alicia Keys chose an edgy chain-embellished top over skinny jeans (and a baby bump!). But it was Shakira who stole the show during the finale with a rendition of the World Cup Anthem “Waka Waka” in a barely-there grass skirt and cut-away top. Goooooal!
1. Rihanna debuts a fiery new hair color. [People.com]
2. Watch Oscar de la Renta’s Resort 2011 runway show live! [Oscardelarenta.com]
3. The Jackson family remembers Michael at an anniversary event on June 26th. [People.com]
4. Julia Roberts snacks on gelato for Eat Pray Love‘s new poster. [JustJared.com]
5. Linda Evangelista is the new face of Talbots. [HuffingtonPost.com]
6. Take a peek at Shakira’s World Cup performance outfits designed by Roberto Cavalli. [StyleList.com]
Two of the music industry’s biggest stars had an unexpected surprise when they arrived at the Video Music Awards last night: Shakira and Pink were wearing the same Balmain dress! If there was ever a time that warranted a little diva drama, this was it, but the superstars stayed cool and collected and even shared a hug when they met up on the red carpet. “I think it’s hilarious,” said Pink when she realized the wardrobe deja vous. “I don’t care; I hope she’s not mad.”
—Joe Berean and Nakisha Williams