Ever since the #ALSIceBucketChallenge began to go viral a couple of weeks ago, we’ve been waiting for it to catch on in Hollywood—and thanks to challenges from Ryan Seacrest, Jimmy Fallon, and more, it did!
In case you’re unfamiliar with the movement, it all began when Pete Frates, a 29-year-old former Boston College baseball player, challenged both friends and celebrities to pour a bucket of ice their heads to help raise money for the disease from which he’s been suffering from since 2012. The rest is viral history. Since picking up speed, the challenge has raised $13.3 million in donations since July 29, up significantly from last year during the same period.
This weekend, many celebrities participated in the challenge to raise money for the debilitative disease more commonly known as Lou Gehrig’s, and the Instagram videos they posted are priceless. From Taylor Swift and Jaime King to Lena Dunham, Oprah, and Kerry Washington, scroll down to watch eight videos of celebrities getting iced for a great cause.
1. Taylor Swift and Jaime King not only accepted the challenge from King’s husband Kyle Newman, Ingrid Michaelson, and Lily Aldrige, they also gathered a large group to participate, too! For everyone in the video, they donated $100 each.
3. Lena Dunham donned her best red bathing suit to accept the Taylor Swift and Jaime King’s challenge! “They got me with that ice bucket challenge,” she captioned.
4. In typical Lady Gaga fashion, the singer got dressed up to stoically pour the water over her head.
5. Nominated by Taylor Swift and Ryan Seacrest, Selena Gomez recruited her team to donate too, but not before she dumped the icy water on her head.
6. Dressed up as Olivia Pope, Kerry Washington accepted the challenge on behalf of the cast of Scandal, which was nominated by the Grey’s Anatomy crew.
7. Chloe Grace Moretz made she was near a pool before dumping the frigid water over head!
8. Gayle King gleefully dumped the ice bucket over her best friend Oprah’s head in the name of ALS.
9. Nina Dobrev went for a dramatic taping, filming her ice bucket challenge in slow motion!
10. Forget about an ice bucket, Chris Pratt chose to take a different spin on the challenge.
11. Emmy Rossum made sure to put on a bikini before participating in the movement.
12. Accepting the challenge from Selena Gomez and Nina Dobrev, Cara Delevingne braved the icy water in a bathroom.
13. A little ice couldn’t dim Lily Collins‘ smile! She took the challenge like a champ.
14. Hailee Steinfeld got doused big brother Griffin, and in turn challenged him to get iced.
To learn more about ALS and to donate to the cause, head to alsa.org.