July cover girl Kate Hudson is today’s instyle.com/katehudson.Guest Editor! Check back throughout the day for exclusive content straight from the actress herself. Go to
I love to read. In fact, I try to read two books at once. I read a non-fiction—whether it’s a self-help book or something scientific—and then I always read a fiction alongside side it. These books are at the top of my list this season. If you’re looking for a great beach read this season, here are 6 books worth checking out.
My 6 Must-Read Books for Summer:
1. Right now, I’m reading Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter ($16; harpercollins.com), which was last year’s summer book. I heard it’s beautiful.
2. The best book, if no one’s ever read it for summer, is One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez ($19; harpercollins.com). It is one of my favorite books ever. The author just recently passed away, and it seems like an honor to read this great story.
3. Stoner by John Williams ($12; nybooks.com) is a great fiction book. It’s a true gem. It’s one of the most beautiful reads of all time.
4. My self help book of the summer is Life’s Operating Manual: with the Fear and Truth Dialogues by Tom Shadyac ($16; amazon.com). I’ve never met Tom, but I loved his book! My fiancé Matt and I both really enjoyed it.
5. Every girl should read Survival of the Prettiest: The Science of Beauty by Nancy Etcoff ($16; randomhouse.com). This was an inspiring and insightful read, definitely a notable book for women.
6. The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman ($9; amazon.com) is definitely a must. If you want a good cry, this is your book for sure!
Want more of our Guest Editor Kate Hudson? Visit her InStyle.com page to see new stories and galleries of her best looks.