Sought-after advice from hundreds of America’s top fashion designers, all in one place? That’s what makes the The Council of Fashion Designers of America‘s just released book so amazing—it includes the best advice and insight from its 400+ members on style, career, love, and life. The Pursuit of Style: Advice and Musings from America’s Top Fashion Designers features notable quotes and tidbits from designers like Diane von Furstenberg, Zac Posen, Betsey Johnson, Narciso Rodriguez, Donna Karan, and Ralph Lauren.
From tips and tricks for breaking into fashion to essential wardrobe items to favorite words of wisdom, The Pursuit of Style gives you a glimpse inside the fashion world’s most creative minds and offers an endless amount of inspiration.
We pored through the book’s pages, and rounded up some of our favorite quotes from the serious to the amusing, and everything in between:
1. My favorite fabric to wear/work with is: “Gray flannel. I think the only thing I wouldn’t like in gray flannel is a bathing suit—and honestly it would look so chic, but be so silly.” —Jenna Lyons
2. Fashion is important to me because: “It provides a voice and a way to stand out in the world and a way to tell your visual story.” —Mara Hoffman
3. The difference between style and trends is: “Style is intrinsic, trends are of the moment.” —Georgina Chapman
4. My fashion motto is: “Accentuate the positive, delete the negative.” —Donna Karan
5. In order to be successful at work, you should: “Love what you are doing.” —Dennis Basso
6. I wish I knew then, that: “Tequila causes hangovers!” —Stacey Bendet
7. If I could collaborate with any designer, dead or alive it would be: “Coco, of course!” —Bibhu Mohapatra
8. My work motto is: “No rules.” —Vera Wang
9. My favorite place to shop is: “Any Duane Reade.” —Michael Bastian
10. My style muse is: “A confident woman.” —Diane von Furstenberg
11. Love is: “A healthy obsession.” —Christian Siriano
12. I can’t get through the day without: “Instagram. I love being creative with it and connecting with followers. It’s a social media popularity contest!” —Brian Atwood
13. The last thing I do before bed is: “Take two Advil PM and wish on a star.” —Betsey Johnson
14. My words to live by: “Boring thoughts make boring people.” —Charlotte Ronson
Along with more memorable quotes, The Pursuit of Style features a foreword by the ever-stylish Jessica Alba, an introduction by CFDA President Diane von Furstenberg, and illustrations by the revered fashion illustrator Bil Donovan, making this book a must-have for any fashion lover. Pick up a copy now ($20) at amazon.com.