Zooey Deschanel‘s prep for the Golden Globes was — in the star’s own words — “very smooth.”
“Yeah, it was very smooth,” she told us on the red carpet. “Got out of the door really fast. I had some friends come over and we had my dogs, and it was fun.”
“Fun” is just one way to describe the Golden Globe-nominated actress’s nail art at the show, which has become as much a part of her signature look as her bangs. This year, nail artist Tom Bachik used L’Oreal polish to create a sweet, fun floral design. Bachik told us he drew inspiration from Deschanel’s Oscar de la Renta gown, which had architectural beading at the top and splashes of sparkle throughout the skirt. The duo wanted to create a nail look that had a vintage, Old Hollywood feel that would offset the structured elements of the dress, and decided on a ’60s-inspired floral motif. The result was a glamorous 3D design with soft tones and splashes of metallic gold.
Here’s the step-by-step straight from Bachik on how to get the look:
1. After prepping nails as usual for a manicure, Bachik created an offset French manicure using a pastel yellow polish: L’Oréal Paris Colour Riche Nail Versailles Romance in Crème Puffs ($5.99 at lorealparisusa.com). He applied the polish along the tip of the nail on an angle, swooping upward two-thirds of the way to create an off-center point.
2. Next, he applied L’Oréal Paris Magic Top Coat Collection in True Gold ($5.99 at lorealparisusa.com) with a striper brush along the top of the French tip to soften the line between the tip and the bare natural nail.
3. He swiped one coat of L’Oréal Paris Colour Riche Nail Top of the Line top coat ($5.99 at lorealparisusa.com).
4. Once dry, Bachik used different sized gold studs to create the center of the daisies to give the nail a 3D effect. The daises were randomly placed, purposefully off-center, and sometimes overlapping.
5. Using L’Oréal Paris Colour Riche Nail in I Will! ($5.99 at lorealparisusa.com), he used a small detail brush to create the petals.
6. He finished off the look by adding more of the gold glitter polish over the daisy centers, blending out onto the petals.
7. To set the entire look, he applied one coat L’Oréal Paris Colour Riche Nail Top of the Line top coat ($5.99 at lorealparisusa.com).
Plus, see what Deschanel and more stars wore to the 2014 Golden Globes!
— Reporting by Scott Huver