2014 is already off to a chic start, as evidenced by Kristen Wiig‘s bob! Last night at the Los Angeles premiere of The Spoils of Babylon, the star’s new shoulder-length look served as the perfect finishing touch to her embellished Valentino dress. Wiig has been keeping her hairstylist busy these days — in addition to her cut, the star ended 2013 by taking her ombre highlights to a rich auburn tone. “I’ve always wanted to go red and I’ve never done it before,” she told InStyle.com previously. “It was just sort of [one of those things] where I’m not working right now and it was sort of like, ‘Okay yeah, I’ll just go for it.’” The shorter length emphasizes her deeper hue, and we have to say, she wears the look well! Tell us, do you like the change?
Awards season is heading into high gear, and this year’s nominees are already feeling the pressure—literally. “I’ve got Band-Aids on every single toe!” Emma Thompson told InStyle.com yesterday at one of the season’s first big nights, the National Board of Review Awards Gala held at Cipriani 42nd Street in New York City. “This is a lovely evening because you’re not too nervous because you know you’ve won. It’s true!” said Thompson who was presented the award for best actress for her portrayal of Mary Poppins author P.L. Travers in Saving Mr. Banks from good friend Meryl Streep (whom she enthusiastically embraced on the red carpet).
The film, which chronicles Walt Disney’s tumultuous fight to obtain the rights to the magical story, was an eye opening experience for Thompson. “I learned an awful lot about him. I didn’t know he had the childhood that he had,” she told reporters. “He was brought up in a very tough world, and you can see why he might want to create an endlessly perfect environment and childhood.” However, she was quick to point out that many of his stories have a darker undertone, including her favorite of his film’s, Dumbo! “Any elephant on any area I would love. The big ears!”
With the buzz continuing to surround her portrayal in the heartwarming film, we’re sure she’ll be heading to many more awards shows (including this Sunday’s Golden Globes for which she’s nominated for Best Actress). Her post-show ritual? “It’s really nice to go back and put on your dressing gown and a big pair of furry socks and have a large gin.” Sounds like a great idea to us!
1. Tina Fey and Amy Poehler host the Golden Globes January 12.
2. La Prairie Cellular Swiss Ice Crystal Cream and the brand’s first-ever Dry Oil hit shelves Jan. 29.
3. Our pre-Oscars Google Hangout with fashion experts Rachel Roy, Simon Doonan, and InStyle‘s own Ariel Foxman and Eric Wilson happens Jan. 28.
4. Pop the bubbly! On Feb. 7, we start celebrating 20 years of InStyle magazine.
5. Peter Pilotto’s Target collection debuts Feb. 9.
6. House of Cards season two premieres Feb. 14. Thank Netflix for the great Valentine’s Day gift!
7. Jimmy Fallon takes over The Tonight Show and Seth Meyers takes over Late Night Feb. 24.
8. Beyonce‘s new fragrance, Rise, hits stores mid-February.
9. Ellen hosts the Oscars March 2.
10. Wes Anderson’s Grand Budapest Hotel premieres March 7.
11. The 9/11 Memorial Museum opens in New York City March 21.
12. A new royal baby! Princess Madeline of Sweden is due this spring.
13. Sephora launches its new Radiant Orchid palette in honor of the Pantone Color of the Year.
14. We get our first look at Nicolas Ghesquière’s new collections for Louis Vuitton.
15. Michelle Williams’ makes her Broadway debut in Cabaret April 24.
16. Kate Moss’ new collaboration with Topshop becomes available.
17. Sophia Webster‘s line for J. Crew launches.
18. A modern take on the girly classic color, pink, as seen on the Spring runways!
19. Goodbye, bulky pockets! Only Coin, an all-in-one digital wallet, is out this summer.
20. Jennifer Aniston’s cut that launched a thousands snips, “The Rachel,” turns 20. (Can you believe it?)
21. The evolution of the pixie — for those who recently chopped their locks, this summer will tell if they’re growing out their ‘do’s or keeping them shorn.
22. William and Kate’s first child, son Prince George, turns one July 22!
23. By the end of 2014, The Shanghai Tower (aka soon-to-be the tallest in the world!) will be completed, and equipped with a bullet elevator.
24. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1 hits theaters Nov. 21.
25. A shiny new toy for techies come the end of this year: Apple iOS 8 comes out this year, perfect for holiday gift-giving.
26. 4K resolution TVs are finally getting cheaper this year; celebrate by adding one to your holiday wishlist — or living room!
Plus see all the greatest style moments from 2013:
Kristen Stewart‘s ad for Balenciaga‘s latest fragrance was just released, and it looks oddly familiar. The campaign for the French fashion houses’s new bright and spicy rose-scented perfume Rosabotanica stars the actress—and two-time face of Balenciaga’s Florabotanica fragrance—topless and adorned with brightly colored flowers. Almost identical to her last ad for the brand, Stewart looks gorgeous with a wispy updo and killer smoky eye, but the two images appear like they were shot in the same sitting. Seemingly, the only difference is that the actress faces the camera in the new ads, while her back was turned to us in the past campaign. As similar as the two ads are, you can’t deny that Stewart looks amazing!
How much do you really know about fashion? Test your IQ with the first edition of InSepia Flash Fashion Cards, a set of playing cards featuring 50 fashion terms—including blazer, bloomer, macaroni suit, and lesser-known words such as gigot sleeve, mantua, and jerkin. Each card explains the origin of the term, along with illustrations created by Sophie Young, the creative mind behind the project.
The cards are not only perfect for enriching your stylish mind, but they’re a covetable collection that gives back, with 10% of proceeds benefitting museum fashion preservation and exhibitions. As for Young’s favorite factoid she learned from the cards, she admitted she couldn’t pick just one! “I’m constantly learning,” Young told InStyle.com. “There are so many fascinating layers to fashion.” Brush up on your fashion knowledge below with these five terms Young suggests you know for 2014. You can scoop up your own set of InSepia’s Flash Fashion Cards for $25 on amazon.com.
Exclusive Details via Possessionista: Lucy Hale’s Pastel Moto Jacket From Last Night’s Pretty Little LiarsJan 8, 2014 @ 2:26 pm
Dana Weiss of Possessionista.com is InStyle.com’s correspondent on all things Pretty Little Liars fashion for Season 4. Scroll down to read this week’s exclusive update on what the ladies of Rosewood wore.
For last night’s winter premiere of Pretty Little Liars, costume designer Mandi Line needed to make Aria (Lucy Hale) stand out, and she knew which piece would do just that. “I had this jacket for a few months,” Line said of the pastel Unif motorcycle jacket. “It was too big for Lucy, and I knew it was going to be uncomfortable, so I knew it had to be a short scene.”
Fit wasn’t the only challenge the stylist faced. She and Hale experimented with many different accessories before settling on a simple graphic tee and jeans. ”We could have [paired it] with a flashy shirt, or a tulle skirt, but we knew we wanted this jacket to tell the story,” Line added. “When it comes to a statement piece, you have to know when to say when.”
—Dana Weiss of Possessionista.com
We asked you to choose your favorite looks of 2013, and the results are in! You picked your Best of 2013 Fashion A-List by choosing five of your favorite looks from this year’s celebrity Look of the Day moments, and these were the top 5 most added. Over the year we saw a multitude of trends—like crop tops, suits, leather, and sheer—worn by some of our favorite leading ladies. So, who did you think had the best looks of the past year? These five ladies: Blake Lively in a luxe leather look by Gucci; Olivia Wilde in an A.L.C crop top (you also loved her suit look!); Rihanna in a sheer, red-hot gown by Azzedine Alaia; Kate Middleton in an embellished Malene Birger coat; and Jennifer Lawrence in a sheer-knit Christian Dior Couture gown. For 2013, these celebrities had the looks you loved the most, and we can’t wait to see who impresses us in the new year!
Rihanna and Shakira Collaborated Together, Gisele Bundchen Sang Boyz II Men On Jimmy Fallon, and MoreJan 8, 2014 @ 12:43 pm
1. It’s the collaboration we’ve been waiting for! Rihanna and Shakira will be releasing a new song next week. [Just Jared]
2. Gisele Bundchen learned English from Boyz II Men! She even sang a song for Jimmy Fallon. [Late Night with Jimmy Fallon]
3. Jay Z’s collaboration with Barneys New York’s raised over $1,000,000 for Jay Z’s charity. [HuffPo]
4. Why did Jennifer Lawrence trip over her Oscars dress? Hint: it has to do with cake! [Fashionista]
5. Here’s a sneak peek at Carly Rae Jepson wearing her fairytale Cinderella gown. [E! Online]
6. Jenny McCarthy debuted a new hair do to kick off 2014. See it here! [People]