With November in full swing, you may start noticing an abundance of men ditching their clean-shaven looks for warm, fuzzy beards and full-grown mustaches in honor of “Movember,” a month-long event where guys stop shaving to raise awareness for men’s health issues. To help the men in your life support a good cause, we reached out to celebrity groomer Anna Bernabe (who trims the whiskers of Michael Fassbender and Jake Gyllenhaal!) and compiled a list of the best tips and tricks for maintaining a well-groomed ‘stache all Movember long.
Mustache Grooming Tips:
1. For men with sparse facial hair, be patient. As your hair begins to grow in, it may seem patchy and incomplete. However, as the hairs become longer, the slower-growing follicles will have time to sprout their own hairs, and gradually over the course of a couple weeks the patchy gaps will eventually be hidden.
2. Trimming the facial hair around the mustache makes it stand out, but you need a trimmer that gives you ultimate control for a flawless touch up. I like to use Conair 2-Blade All-In-One Trimmer ($19 at target.) It’s the only trimmer with two stainless steel cutting blades for twice the precision and twice the cutting action.
3. Invest in a mustache comb or any fine tooth comb. It’s important to comb your mustache so it looks clean and shaped.
4. Shampooing your mustache twice a week is important to remove any odor or food remnants.
5. Chapstick is an easy and inexpensive product for styling your mustache and maintaining stray hairs.
Plus, find out which grooming products you should steal from your guy.