The Making of Nina Dobrev’s Amazing Updo: Exclusive Behind-the-Scenes PhotosSep 11, 2012 @ 1:03 pm
Nina Dobrev is known for several things, her addictive The Vampire Diaries series and her envy-inducing hair being two of them. And her latest looks do not disappoint. First, the actress showed off an adorable bouncy ponytail when she visited InStyle‘s portrait studio at the Toronto International Festival, and last night she stunned at the Los Angeles premiere of The Perks of Being a Wallflower with a twisted updo to show off the neckline of her ruby Reem Acra dress. Riawna Capri of L.A.’s Nine Zero One salon created both looks for the 23-year-old actress, who travels with her everywhere to make sure every strand is in perfect place. “We wanted to create a slightly disheveled updo to show off the lace and the neckline of the dress,” Capri told InStyle.com when she sent these exclusive behind-the-scenes photos before the premiere. “This look works great when wanting a soft elegance without looking too contrived. I love this for Nina.” And she’s not the only one who thinks so: After posting the look on Instagram (check out the photo here!), the style garnered more than 5,000 likes in a mere few hours and made the popular page! Want to try your hand at a similar look? Scroll down for our tips!
HOW TO RECREATE NINA’S TOUSLED UPDO:
1. If you’re working with clean strands, give them a blast of texturizer or dry shampoo to add grip and an instant boost in volume.
2. Mirror the undone feel of Dobrev’s chignon by loosely winding sections of hair around a medium-barrel curling iron to form an effortless wave.
3. Start back-combing a small section of hair at the front, concentrating at the roots, then sweep an area of un-teased hair over the top to conceal it.
4. Twist random pieces of hair and anchor them at the back of your head with hair pins, building upon each section until a loose, low bun shape is created.
5. Allow a few wisps to fall out of the style—the roughed-up texture is part of the appeal.
Plus, see more photos of Nina’s best looks!